Scholarship Recipient News
“Lot: Stories” by Bryan Washington, a former scholarship recipient, is listed as one of Former President Barack Obama’s favorite books of 2019. Read more<< click here.
Youth Cooking Class
The Jamaica Foundation of Houston’s Youth Group participated in a cooking class hosted by Ms. Ina Foster, longtime member of the Foundation and former owner of the first Caribbean restaurant in Houston. Ms. Foster started Caribbean Cuisine in southwest Houston over 35 years ago to serve a need in the Jamaican community. She served the Caribbean community for over 29 years. In her retirement, she continues to give her time to the Foundation cultural and scholarship programs.
March 30, 2019
Food is one of the biggest aspects of a culture and the Foundation aims to teach young people more about the Jamaican culture through cooking. Members and prospective members are invited to involve their children in the youth group in order to promote cultural pride through cooking, performance, dance, art, and other avenues.
cooking Life Lessons
Trust life and being resourceful, even in the face of adversity.
– I was new to cooking and things didn’t go as planned.
Work with what you have; it is not how well you can cook but how well you improvise.
– I didn’t have a peeler for the ginger root, but I used a spoon instead!
Life is not perfect and we can learn from our mistakes.
– I am much kinder to myself now that I know I can turn an accident into something wonderful.
Be still and be in the moment
– I was surprised the knife I was looking for was right in front of me!
Follow your instincts and account for your successes and failures.
– I am using what I’ve learned from this cooking class. I learned to season to my personal taste while following cultural traditions.
This Winter, our youth leadership group performed the Jamaican version of The Night Before Christmas. Members and prospective members are invited to involve their children to promote cultural pride through performance, dance, art, cooking, and other avenues.