General Meetings are held the third Friday of the month at 7 pm Central Standard Time (CST) with a meet-and-greet half an hour prior to the start of the meeting.
Jun 17, Sep 16, Nov 18, Dec 16
Click herefor details
Learn more on our facebook page and LinkedIn
CORE ANNUAL EVENTS
- The Jamaica Foundation of Houston hosts the following core events annually:
- White Party – April
- Scholarship Luncheon – May
- Jamaica Independence Gala – Summer
- Jamaica Community Family Picnic – Summer
- 5k Walk/RunFest – October
- Annual Election – November
- Christmas Party – December
- The Community Picnic and the Christmas party are open to all free of cost!
- *Ja-Ga Reggae Fest – Jamaica-Galveston Festival – TBD
- The Jamaica Foundation of Houston would like to express condolences to the Burnett family on the transitioning of Mr. Eton Burnett. The Burnett family was one of the stalwarts of the Foundation on its inception. The annual Independence Breakfast at St. James Episcopal Church and fashion shows during fundraising activities were usually coordinated by Mrs. Burnett. However, because of Eton’s career, his company relocated him overseas over the years. Deepest sympathies to the family.
- Condolences to Cedric Buchanan for the loss of his dear mother on August 10, 2022. The family celebrates her long-lived life of 96 years! Cedric is a longtime supporter of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.Dr. Kelvin Moulton’s darling wife Lucille Moulton of 45 years passed Saturday, July 30, 2022. Lucille was wife and mother, sister, and dear friend. “I built a dreamboat to sail the seas with you by my side when it sails!” — Dr. Moulton
Mr. Leroy Brown, lifetime member of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, died on April 19, 2022. He leaves behind wife Lorna, other family and friends. Just over a week ago, Mr. Brown lived to see the wedding of his older daughter Petrina. He will be missed.
Condolences to Ms. Darnette Hill and family for the loss of her sister-in-law. Our thoughts and prayers are with her and family during this painful time.
- Content in Life and Love — Mr. Evon B. Bent — We keep in our prayers the family of Mr. Evon Bent, who passed on June 18, 2021. Mr. Bent was a man content in life and love. He was born in Top Hill, a small residential district which stands between Junction and Southfield in the parish of Saint Elizabeth, Jamaica. Mr. Bent is survived by his children, Mr. Robert Bent and Dr. Nicole Bent Jones, daughter-in-law Stephanie, son-in-law William, grandchildren, family and friends.
- “Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” — Colin Powell — Our deepest sympathy to the family of Mr. Colin Powell, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, secretary of state and national security adviser. Mr. Colin Powell, the son of Jamaican immigrants from the parish of Saint Elizabeth, is fondly remembered by family and friends.
- Our deepest sympathy to Ms. Joan White, longtime member of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, for the passing of her brother on July 20, 2021. We pray for comfort and condolences to the grieving family.
- Our heartfelt condolences to the the President of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston Dr. Nicole Bent Jones and her brother Mr. Robert Bent for the loss of their father Mr. Evon Bent on June 18, 2021. May you find strength as God continues to hold the family together. May He give you peace beyond your own understanding during the tremendously difficult time.
- Condolences to the family of renowned actor, Volier ‘Maffie’ Johnson, who passed away on July 9, 2021. Johnson had been involved in theatre for over 50 years. Read more in the Jamaica Gleaner >> click here.
- Our condolences to the family of Mr. David Spencer. To view his obituary, click here.
- On behalf of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, our condolences and deepest sympathy to the family of Mrs. Brinnella Knight who gained her wings on February 20, 2021. Mr. Anthony & Mrs. Brinnella Knight were contributors to the Foundation for many years! For those who would like to attend the streaming service, please click here:
- Our hearts are saddened by the loss of Dr. Dennis Easington, a talented musician who will be missed in our community. He worked with members of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston on cultural presentations in an effort to keep our culture alive in the Houston community. Prayers for his family and friends.
- We celebrate the life of the Rev. Dr. Melville B. Herron, one of Lauderhill, Florida’s most prominent civic activists. Rev. Herron is the brother of Mr. Edward Herron with the Jamaica Foundation of Houston. He is also the brother-in-law of Mr. Andy Adams, former President and current advisor to the Board of Directors for the Jamaica Foundation of Houston. Rev. Herron is survived by Grace, his wife of 61 years, and sons, Dwayne and Dexter (Hillary), he is survived by brother Edward of Houston, and sisters Gloria Dewdney (Trevor) of Jamaica and Monica Herron of Indian Lake Estates, plus a list of nieces, nephews, others relatives and friends too numerous to name. Obituary << click here to view
- Condolences to Mr. Seprian Davis, former Board Member for the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, for the loss of his mother. Mr. Davis has contributed to the Foundation over the years both as a member and as the business owner of Sunburst Trading Company, a leading company in the importation, marketing and distribution of specialty foods from the Caribbean in the Southwestern United States. On behalf of the Foundation, we send prayers for his family.
- Our deepest sympathy toMr. Ed Herron for the passing of his brother and to Mr. Andy Adams for the passing of his brother-in-law who passed away this May of 2020. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength.
- Condolences to Dr. Danelle Harris, for the passing of her grandmother who passed away the end of April 2020. May peace and comfort find you and family during this difficult time.
- Condolences to Sylvanus Danae for the loss of his brother. May the prayers of all people who love you bring solace to you and family.
- Condolences to Sijollie Braham, Founder and President of the Caribbean Chamber of Commerce of Texas (CCC), for the passing of her mother. May peace and comfort find you and family during this difficult time.
- With heartfelt sympathy, we send condolences to Mrs. Marjorie Cotton for the passing of her husband Mr. James Cotton who passed away Wednesday, September 11, 2019. As a former law professor of Texas Southern University, Mr. Cotton contributed the lives of many students and was a great supporter of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston as well as the Jamaican community. Mr. Cotton will be remembered well by his community and our thoughts and prayers are with the family.
- Our deepest condolences to Mrs. Stephanie Bent and her sister Mrs. Nadine Turner for the passing of their beloved mother, Mrs. Merlene Mavis Greenwood-Powell, this August 11, 2019. Losing a mother is one of the deepest sorrows a heart can know. Our sympathy also to her grandchildren for the loss of their grandmother. May the family be comforted by the outpouring of love surrounding them, on behalf of family and friends of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston. Mrs. Stephanie Bent is the former Secretary for the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.
- Condolences to Ms. Gloria Campbell and family for the passing of Ms. Campbell’s beloved mother, this August 8, 2019. On behalf of members and friends of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, we wish you comfort and the courage to face the days ahead, and loving memories to forever hold in your hearts. Ms. Gloria Campbell is the Vice President of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.
- Members and friends of the Jamaica Foundation send condolences to Errol Anglin and family for the passing of Mr. Anglin’s beloved mother on July 16, 2019. Mr. Anglin is the current Treasurer and former President of the Jamaica Foundation. He has served the Jamaican and Greater Houston Community well for many years. This is an emotional time and our prayers are with the family.
- With heartfelt sympathy, we send condolences to family and friends of Mr. Ernest Byles, born January 3, 1934 and passed away on May 11, 2019. He is originally from Linstead, St. Catherine, Jamaica. Service will be held May 31, 2019.
- Our hearts are saddened by the loss of Dr. Roger McNeill, MD, who passed away Tuesday. He is highly respected for his years of service in the medical community and contributions to the Jamaica Foundation of Houston as well as the greater Houston community. Dr. McNeill will most certainly be remembered well by his community and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.