Scholarship Awards Luncheon - May 20
The Foundation delighted in celebrating students at our Annual Scholarship Awards Luncheon on May 20, 2023, at 11:30 am CDST. The luncheon was held at Ashford United Methodist Church located at 2201 S. Dairy Ashford Rd, Houston, TX 77077. Proceeds from ticket sales went towards our scholarship fund.
Donate to our Scholarship Fund!
Click here to donate.
Make your donation by mail, Zelle, or PayPal
Year 2023 Events
- Jan 16. MLK Parade
- Feb 16. General Meeting
- Apr 21. General Meeting
- May 6. Consulate 5k Walk/Run
- May 20. Scholarship Awards Luncheon
- Jun 16. General Meeting
- July 29. Independence Gala
- Sep 15. General Meeting
- Nov 17. General Meeting & Annual Election
- Dec 15. Christmas Party
JFH Scholarship Awards Luncheon - May 20
Consulate Hi-5 5k Walk/Run - May 6, 2023
Friends and members of the Foundation participated in the Jamaica Consulate’s Hi-5 5K Run/Walk fundraiser on Saturday, May 6, 2023!
The Jamaica Consulate’s Hi-5 5K Run/Walk fundraiser is designed to raise funds for the Adopt-a-Clinic initiative by the Ministry of Health in Jamaica.
The event began at 7 am CDST at Arthur Storey Park, 7400 W Sam Houston Pkwy S, Houston, TX 77036.
General Meeting - April 21, 2023
The Foundation held a second General Meeting on April 21, 2023, at 7 pm CDST at the Tracy Gee Community Center located at 3599 Westcenter Dr., Houston, TX 77042 — with special guests from Integrated Diaspora Services and Victoria Mutual. Guests also heard from Consul General for Jamaica Hon. Oliver Mair about the upcoming Consulate 5k Walk/Run. Also, invitations were extended for the May 20th Scholarship Awards Luncheon and July 29th Annual Independence Gala.
General Meeting - February 17, 2023
Our first General Meeting of the year was held at 7 pm CST on Friday, February 17, 2023. A year in review was followed by upcoming events. The Foundation was also honored to have guest speaker Major Stanley Ford of Integrated Diaspora Services speak about services available to the Diaspora across the globe. Click here for more information.
45th Annual Original MLK Parade - January 16, 2023
Members and friends of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston participated in the 45th Annual Original MLK Parade in Downtown Houston on January 16, 2023! The parade started at the intersection of Smith and Lamar streets in Downtown Houston, with Mayor Sylvester Turner serving as the 2023 parade grand marshal. Our volunteers helped to make the event a success!
Learn more on our facebook page and LinkedIn
CORE ANNUAL EVENTS
- The Jamaica Foundation of Houston hosts the following core events annually:
- White Party – April
- Scholarship Luncheon – May
- Jamaica Independence Gala – Summer
- Jamaica Community Family Picnic – Summer
- 5k Walk/RunFest – October
- Annual Election – November
- Christmas Party – December
- The Community Picnic and the Christmas party are open to all free of cost!
- *Ja-Ga Reggae Fest – Jamaica-Galveston Festival – TBD
- Our sympathies for the loss of Patricia Escoffery’s husband Gregory Carl Escoffery. May the family find peace and comfort during this difficult time. A Funeral service will be held this Friday, March 24, 2023, at 10:30AM, at St. Justin Martyr Catholic Church, 13350 Ashford Point Drive, Houston, TX. 77082. For Livestreaming of the service please visit https://sjmtx.org. Click here for more information.
- Condolences to Dr. Debbie Evans MacKay and family for the loss of her mother Marlene Evans, this February 2023. May the family find comfort during this difficult time. Funeral details (click here).
- Our sincerest condolences for Consul General of Jamaica, Southern USA, Hon. Oliver Mair for the loss of his father. Please accept our deepest sympathy and unwavering support. Wishing the family peace and comfort at this time of sorrow.
- May the family of Dr. Richard Bernal, former ambassador of Jamaica to the United States, please accept our deepest sympathies for your loss. Dr. Bernal was steadfast in his support of the Government and people of Jamaica. He was a regionalist, having influenced the Caribbean consciousness. Wishing the family peace and comfort during this difficult time.
The Jamaica Foundation of Houston would like to express condolences to the Burnett family on the transitioning of Mr. Eton Burnett. The Burnett family was one of the stalwarts of the Foundation on its inception. The annual Independence Breakfast at St. James Episcopal Church and fashion shows during fundraising activities were usually coordinated by Mrs. Burnett. However, because of Eton’s career, his company relocated him overseas over the years. Deepest sympathies to the family.
- Condolences to Cedric Buchanan for the loss of his dear mother on August 10, 2022. The family celebrates her long-lived life of 96 years! Cedric is a longtime supporter of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.Dr. Kelvin Moulton’s darling wife Lucille Moulton of 45 years passed Saturday, July 30, 2022. Lucille was wife and mother, sister, and dear friend. “I built a dreamboat to sail the seas with you by my side when it sails!” — Dr. Moulton
Mr. Leroy Brown, lifetime member of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, died on April 19, 2022. He leaves behind wife Lorna, other family and friends. Just over a week ago, Mr. Brown lived to see the wedding of his older daughter Petrina. He will be missed.
Condolences to Ms. Darnette Hill and family for the loss of her sister-in-law. Our thoughts and prayers are with her and family during this painful time.
- Content in Life and Love — Mr. Evon B. Bent — We keep in our prayers the family of Mr. Evon Bent, who passed on June 18, 2021. Mr. Bent was a man content in life and love. He was born in Top Hill, a small residential district which stands between Junction and Southfield in the parish of Saint Elizabeth, Jamaica. Mr. Bent is survived by his children, Mr. Robert Bent and Dr. Nicole Bent Jones, daughter-in-law Stephanie, son-in-law William, grandchildren, family and friends.
- “Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” — Colin Powell — Our deepest sympathy to the family of Mr. Colin Powell, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, secretary of state and national security adviser. Mr. Colin Powell, the son of Jamaican immigrants from the parish of Saint Elizabeth, is fondly remembered by family and friends.
- Our deepest sympathy to Ms. Joan White, longtime member of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, for the passing of her brother on July 20, 2021. We pray for comfort and condolences to the grieving family.
- Our heartfelt condolences to the the President of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston Dr. Nicole Bent Jones and her brother Mr. Robert Bent for the loss of their father Mr. Evon Bent on June 18, 2021. May you find strength as God continues to hold the family together. May He give you peace beyond your own understanding during the tremendously difficult time.
- Condolences to the family of renowned actor, Volier ‘Maffie’ Johnson, who passed away on July 9, 2021. Johnson had been involved in theatre for over 50 years. Read more in the Jamaica Gleaner >> click here.
- Our condolences to the family of Mr. David Spencer. To view his obituary, click here.
- On behalf of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, our condolences and deepest sympathy to the family of Mrs. Brinnella Knight who gained her wings on February 20, 2021. Mr. Anthony & Mrs. Brinnella Knight were contributors to the Foundation for many years! For those who would like to attend the streaming service, please click here:
- Our hearts are saddened by the loss of Dr. Dennis Easington, a talented musician who will be missed in our community. He worked with members of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston on cultural presentations in an effort to keep our culture alive in the Houston community. Prayers for his family and friends.
- We celebrate the life of the Rev. Dr. Melville B. Herron, one of Lauderhill, Florida’s most prominent civic activists. Rev. Herron is the brother of Mr. Edward Herron with the Jamaica Foundation of Houston. He is also the brother-in-law of Mr. Andy Adams, former President and current advisor to the Board of Directors for the Jamaica Foundation of Houston. Rev. Herron is survived by Grace, his wife of 61 years, and sons, Dwayne and Dexter (Hillary), he is survived by brother Edward of Houston, and sisters Gloria Dewdney (Trevor) of Jamaica and Monica Herron of Indian Lake Estates, plus a list of nieces, nephews, others relatives and friends too numerous to name. Obituary << click here to view
- Condolences to Mr. Seprian Davis, former Board Member for the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, for the loss of his mother. Mr. Davis has contributed to the Foundation over the years both as a member and as the business owner of Sunburst Trading Company, a leading company in the importation, marketing and distribution of specialty foods from the Caribbean in the Southwestern United States. On behalf of the Foundation, we send prayers for his family.
- Our deepest sympathy toMr. Ed Herron for the passing of his brother and to Mr. Andy Adams for the passing of his brother-in-law who passed away this May of 2020. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength.
- Condolences to Dr. Danelle Harris, for the passing of her grandmother who passed away the end of April 2020. May peace and comfort find you and family during this difficult time.
- Condolences to Sylvanus Danae for the loss of his brother. May the prayers of all people who love you bring solace to you and family.
- Condolences to Sijollie Braham, Founder and President of the Caribbean Chamber of Commerce of Texas (CCC), for the passing of her mother. May peace and comfort find you and family during this difficult time.
Condolences to the Dakers family
- With heartfelt sympathy, we send condolences to Mrs. Marjorie Cotton for the passing of her husband Mr. James Cotton who passed away Wednesday, September 11, 2019. As a former law professor of Texas Southern University, Mr. Cotton contributed the lives of many students and was a great supporter of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston as well as the Jamaican community. Mr. Cotton will be remembered well by his community and our thoughts and prayers are with the family.
- Our deepest condolences to Mrs. Stephanie Bent and her sister Mrs. Nadine Turner for the passing of their beloved mother, Mrs. Merlene Mavis Greenwood-Powell, this August 11, 2019. Losing a mother is one of the deepest sorrows a heart can know. Our sympathy also to her grandchildren for the loss of their grandmother. May the family be comforted by the outpouring of love surrounding them, on behalf of family and friends of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston. Mrs. Stephanie Bent is the former Secretary for the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.
- Condolences to Ms. Gloria Campbell and family for the passing of Ms. Campbell’s beloved mother, this August 8, 2019. On behalf of members and friends of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, we wish you comfort and the courage to face the days ahead, and loving memories to forever hold in your hearts. Ms. Gloria Campbell is the Vice President of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.
- Members and friends of the Jamaica Foundation send condolences to Errol Anglin and family for the passing of Mr. Anglin’s beloved mother on July 16, 2019. Mr. Anglin is the current Treasurer and former President of the Jamaica Foundation. He has served the Jamaican and Greater Houston Community well for many years. This is an emotional time and our prayers are with the family.
- With heartfelt sympathy, we send condolences to family and friends of Mr. Ernest Byles, born January 3, 1934 and passed away on May 11, 2019. He is originally from Linstead, St. Catherine, Jamaica. Service will be held May 31, 2019.
- Our hearts are saddened by the loss of Dr. Roger McNeill, MD, who passed away Tuesday. He is highly respected for his years of service in the medical community and contributions to the Jamaica Foundation of Houston as well as the greater Houston community. Dr. McNeill will most certainly be remembered well by his community and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.