saturday, June 20, 2020 |miss lou
The Louise Bennett-Coverley Heritage Council and the Friends of the South Regional/Broward College Library, are pleased to invite you to the launch of its distinguished Hon. Louise Bennett-Coverley Memorial Lecture Series, 2:00pm-3:30pm Saturday, June 20th, 2020.
Visit the website link at https://www.louisebennettheritage.com/
For more information, and to join us on Zoom, click on this link:
Friday, June 19, 2020 | General Meeting
Held virtually via Zoom instead of in-person
The Jamaica Foundation of Houston is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting. Please check your email.
CANCELLED | ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP LUNCHEON
The Foundation will award five scholarships this year to qualifying students.
CANCELLED | Jamaica day at the Houston dynamos
SATURDAY, MAY 2, 2020 |All white party – DJ Battle FB Live
Held virtually via Zoom at 9 pm and streamed to Facebook Live
Thanks to those who supported our scholarship fundraiser All White Party.
Ongoing | Know Jamaica, make her known
Become a member of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston (501-C3 non-profit organization) in strengthening cultural ties between the Caribbean and Houston communities. The Foundation conducts and sponsors educational, charitable and civic activities with institutions and individuals in the greater Houston community as well as in Jamaica. This can truly be a mutually beneficial relationship!
CANCELLED | Town Hall
Look forward to a town hall with Consul General of Jamaica Honorable Oliver Mair next year. You may still support the Consulate’s Adopt-a-Clinic initiative. Click for more on ADOPT-A-CLINIC – Ministry of Health
CANCELLED | Annual Gala
Unfortunately, we are cancelling this year’s gala, in response to the ongoing concerns with the corona virus (COVID-19).
Look forward to our 2021 Gala. The Gala is our preeminent social and fundraising event of the year. The funds raised from this event supports our Scholarship Fund. The organization is also seeking additional Corporate and Individual sponsorships for the Scholarship Program. >> click to donate
Join us in celebrating Jamaica’s 59th Year of Independence at our 2021 gala to be held on Saturday, July 24th at the Red Oak Ballroom at CityCentre.
sunday, august 2, 2020 | annual church service
Join us for our annual church service.
JANUARY 24, 2020 | SUPPORT JAMAICA’S REGGAE GIRLZ
Friends and family of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston participated in a meet-and-greet for Jamaica women’s national football team, nicknamed the “Reggae Girlz”, on Friday, January 24, 2020 from 6 pm – 9 pm at Cool Runnings Restaurant & Grill in Southwest Houston, Texas. (map)
Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz qualified for the 2020 Concacaf Women’s Olympic Qualifying tournament held January 28 through February 4 in Edinburg, TX >> click for details
Friday, January 17, 2020 | General Meeting
Join us for our first 2020 general meeting at the Tracy Gee Community Center located at 3599 Westcenter Dr., Houston, TX 77042. Everyone is welcome including members and prospective members. An informal greeting with light refreshments will be held at 6:30 pm. The meeting will begin at 6:45 pm and adjourn at 8:00 pm.
Saturday, January 18, 2020 | Mrs. Ina Foster ‘Celebration of Life’
We send our deepest condolences to the family of Mrs. Ina Foster who died on December 31, 2019. She had a remarkable tenure with the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.
Monday, January 20, 2020 | Martin Luther King, Jr., Parade
- Join us on Monday, January 20, 2020 for the 42nd Annual MLK, Jr., Parade in Downtown Houston. We will honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s legacy at this commemorative parade. The event is coordinated by the Black Heritage Society, Inc., a non-profit organization chartered by the State of Texas.
Learn more on our facebook page
The Jamaica Foundation of Houston hosts the following upcoming events:
CORE ANNUAL EVENTS
- The Jamaica Foundation of Houston hosts the following core events annually:
- White Party – April
- Scholarship Luncheon – May
- Jamaica Independence Gala – Summer
- Jamaica Community Family Picnic – Summer
- 5k Walk/RunFest – October
- Annual Election – November
- Christmas Party – December
- The Community Picnic and the Christmas party are open to all free of cost!
- *Ja-Ga Reggae Fest – Jamaica-Galveston Festival – TBD
- Our deepest sympathy toMr. Ed Herron for the passing of his brother and to Mr. Andy Adams for the passing of his brother-in-law who passed away this May of 2020. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength
- Condolences to Dr. Danelle Harris, for the passing of her grandmother who passed away the end of April 2020. May peace and comfort find you and family during this difficult time.
- Condolences to Sylvanus Danae for the loss of his brother. May the prayers of all people who love you bring solace to you and family.
- Condolences to Sijollie Braham, Founder and President of the Caribbean Chamber of Commerce of Texas (CCC), for the passing of her mother. May peace and comfort find you and family during this difficult time.
- With heartfelt sympathy, we send condolences to Mrs. Marjorie Cotton for the passing of her husband Mr. James Cotton who passed away Wednesday, September 11, 2019. As a former law professor of Texas Southern University, Mr. Cotton contributed the lives of many students and was a great supporter of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston as well as the Jamaican community. Mr. Cotton will be remembered well by his community and our thoughts and prayers are with the family.
- Our deepest condolences to Mrs. Stephanie Bent and her sister Mrs. Nadine Turner for the passing of their beloved mother, Mrs. Merlene Mavis Greenwood-Powell, this August 11, 2019. Losing a mother is one of the deepest sorrows a heart can know. Our sympathy also to her grandchildren for the loss of their grandmother. May the family be comforted by the outpouring of love surrounding them, on behalf of family and friends of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston. Mrs. Stephanie Bent is the former Secretary for the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.
- Condolences to Ms. Gloria Campbell and family for the passing of Ms. Campbell’s beloved mother, this August 8, 2019. On behalf of members and friends of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston, we wish you comfort and the courage to face the days ahead, and loving memories to forever hold in your hearts. Ms. Gloria Campbell is the Vice President of the Jamaica Foundation of Houston.
- Members and friends of the Jamaica Foundation send condolences to Errol Anglin and family for the passing of Mr. Anglin’s beloved mother on July 16, 2019. Mr. Anglin is the current Treasurer and former President of the Jamaica Foundation. He has served the Jamaican and Greater Houston Community well for many years. This is an emotional time and our prayers are with the family.
- With heartfelt sympathy, we send condolences to family and friends of Mr. Ernest Byles, born January 3, 1934 and passed away on May 11, 2019. He is originally from Linstead, St. Catherine, Jamaica. Service will be held May 31, 2019.
- Our hearts are saddened by the loss of Dr. Roger McNeill, MD, who passed away Tuesday. He is highly respected for his years of service in the medical community and contributions to the Jamaica Foundation of Houston as well as the greater Houston community. Dr. McNeill will most certainly be remembered well by his community and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.